Deadlines for MBAA Scholarship:
Brewery Packaging Technology Course: February 1
Brewery Engineering and Utilities Course: June 1
Brewing and Malting Science Course: August 1
MBAA members are eligible to apply for the MBAA Scholarship. The scholarship covers the cost of tuition to either the Brewing and Malting Science Course, Brewery Engineering and Utilities Course, or the Brewery Packaging Technology Course.
North American Brewers Association Scholarship
Deadline for the NABA Scholarship is August 15
Provides a partial scholarship for an MBAA course. Initially, the NABA is interested in providing a student with a $1000 grant toward the tuition for the MBAA Malting and Brewing Course.
Visit the Scholarship Provisions page to see if you qualify.
Walter Connally Powell, Jr. Memorial Scholarship
Deadline for Powell Scholarship is August 15
Provides an annual scholarship to award full tuition to the MBAA Malting and Brewing Science course, plus a stipend of up to $1000 to the awardee to cover travel and transportation costs to and from the class. Walter Connally Powell, Jr.
was passionate about great beer. As cofounder of Flix Brewhouse, he brought to life the only first-run cinema microbrewery in the world and made it an over-the-top success. Creative and innovative, Walt conceived of Firkin Fest, which brought together a dozen craft breweries from across Texas for an amazing day of great beer and great fellowship. Walt was a founder and administrator for Rate Beer, an Internet community of lovers and critics of fine beer. He was a fixture at beer festivals and events across the country and was an active member of numerous craft beer social and trade groups. In honor of Walt, this memoriam will help other aspiring beer enthusiasts make great beer.
District Discounted MBAA Course Registrations
Deadline for District Discounted MBAA Course Registration is December 31
All MBAA districts are invited to enter a lottery drawing for a discounted registration rate for district scholarship winners planning to attend the following courses:
To participate in the discounted registration rate with the districts awarding scholarships fill out the online application
Persons selected from the districts must be active professional members in good standing with the MBAA.
By submitting an application
, your District is agreeing to fund 75% of the total course registration fee for your scholarship recipient. For 2014, the amount was $2940.
Eligibility for Districts
Nine discounted registrations per year will be available from MBAA.
- The districts willing to participate will have their names put into a hat.
- The maximum of three slots will be chosen for each course. One person per course per district will be awarded the discounted registration.
- The names of the districts will be pooled together and drawn at least 8 weeks prior to the course start to enable the MBAA to reserve a space for them if necessary
Apply Today! District application forms are due to MBAA Headquarters by December 31.
Districts receiving the discounted registration rate will be notified by January 31. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Suggested Guidelines for Awarding Scholarships within Districts
For those districts without a formal scholarship program, we have put together some suggested guidelines for establishing a scholarship curriculum.
- Scholarship application
- Current position
- Financial need
- Brewery/company support
- Benefit to the person and their employer/company
- Career goals
- Previous courses/classes taken related to field
- Special achievements, honors, or recognitions achieved
- A description of how applicant became involved/interested in the industry
- The name of a current District member who supports and endorses the applicant and the application
- Two personal references within the applicant’s district, with contact information, who are willing to attest to the applicant’s commitment to the industry and the District’s goals and objectives.
- Award of the scholarship may be made public information, and awardees should agree to the use of their name attached to the award if they are selected.
- Decisions will be by vote of a simple majority and all decisions will be final. Committee members shall be ineligible to vote regarding scholarships for themselves or members of their families.
- Proof that member is in good standing with one-year tenure in MBAA
- Applicants must be committed to financing all other ancillary costs, including transportation, involved with the course.
- Any misrepresentation on an application or supporting documentation will disqualify the applicant from receiving scholarship funds.