Applications Now Accepted for 2016
The MBAA Brewery Award of Excellence will recognize outstanding achievements by a single brewery in the area of community involvement. Breweries that have a strong history of giving back to their communities dating back to 2013 are eligible to apply for the award.
The purpose of the MBAA Brewery Award of Excellence is to promote the profession of brewing and to be the source for brewer's to network and improve their craft. Through this award program MBAA will be able to promote the contributions that breweries make to better our industry, community, and environment.
The scope of this award program is to deliver the MBAA Brewery Award of Excellence in 2016 and provide national public relations media for the breweries who best service and support their communities.
The award is open to breweries of all sizes. The community involvement award recognizes a single manufacturing site (not a group or chain of sites) and is based on a single project (not a series of projects) at an existing site. Projects submitted from past winners and honorable mentions are not eligible.
Community Involvement projects will be judged on:
- Brewery Employee Involvement. This criteria relates to the depth of involvement from all brewery employees. For example, does the passion for the community involvement program involve all brewery walks of life, from seasonal employees to upper management, or is it usually organized by one group in the brewery. Breweries that have employees that demonstrate a hands-on aspect towards the project will score higher in this criteria. Example: a brewery whose employees volunteer to build a playground at the local shelter.
- Benefit to the local community. Does the community involvement benefit one group, a number of groups or individuals in the community?
- Innovative / Unique approach: The applicant is to provide a unique and resourceful approach the community involvement activity. The applicant should describe why the approach was innovative to ensure the most objectivity in scoring.
- How is the activity viewed by the community? Does the media willingly get behind it? If it is an ongoing program, does the community look forward to it every year? Include any awards or acknowledgments or testimonials that the brewery was given for the community involvement project.
- Home run stories, how about the community involvement story that knocks it out of the park.
How to Apply
Complete the MBAA Brewery Award of Excellence application form and include a summary (maximum of 1,000 words) of a project that propelled the individual brewery to excel in the category of community involvement.
Applications will be accepted through February 15, 2016.
The applications are judged blind by qualified brewery professionals against the set of criteria noted above. The rubric is calibrated amongst the judges and calculated. The application that scores the highest will be the winner. The winning submission may require further editing for publication.
The winner will receive:
Two complimentary annual conference registrations to the MBAA Annual Conference
Plaque of recognition
Recognition at the MBAA Annual Conference, announcement in The MBAA Communicator, and MBAA website.
Winning application will be published in the Technical Quarterly Journal and announced through media public relation outlets.
2015 Brewery Award of Excellence in Sustainability
Phillips Brewing Company, Victoria, Canada,
for their CO2 Reclamation System project.
1st Runner Up
Widmer Brothers Brewing, Portland, Oregon, for their HVAC Optimization project.
2nd Runner Up
Red Hook Brewing Company, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, for their Green Energy Powered EV Station.
2014 Brewery Award of Excellence in Sustainability
Brasil Kirin Indústria de Bebidas S/A, Brazil, for their Cleaning in Place (CIP) project.
1st Runner Up
Craft Brew Alliance, Portland, Oregon, for their Microbial Fuel Cell Pilot Project.
2nd Runner Up
Steam Whistle Brewing, Toronto, Canada, for their Optimization of Brewery Waste Management Program.