Winter Technical Conference with the Michigan Brewers Guild
January 12-14, 2011
Radisson Plaza Hotel
100 West Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
Michigan Brewer's Guild website Conference page
2011 Conference Schedule
Wednesday, January 12
||Government Affairs Roundtable|
||Happy Hour at large in Kalamazoo|
Thursday, January 13
||Practical Yeast Propagation presented by John Mallett Production Manager of Bell's Brewery|
||Yeast Management: Effects on Viability and Flavor Production presented by Bill Maca, Senior Yeast and Fermentation Scientist with MillerCoors|
||Sensory Smackdown – IPA identification|
||Lunch including Hop and Barley Crop Updates|
||Beer Training for Waitstaff presented by Michael McAvena from The Publican Restaurant|
||Beer and Food with the Beervangelist: Cooking with Beer presented by Fred Bueltmann from New Holland Brewing and Chef Wayne Wells, Corporate Executive Chef for the Greenleaf Hospitality Group|
||Michigan Brewers Guild Meeting|
Friday, January 14
||Bloody Mary Bar|
||MIOSHA Brewery Audits: A Recent Experience presented by Gary Nicholas, Director of Safety & Professional Development at Bell's Brewery|
||Preparing and Serving Cask Ales presented by Les Hoffman, Lord and Master of the Real Ale Tent at the Great Taste of the Midwest|
||Protecting Your Trademark presented by Mark Burzych and Matt Drake of Fahey, Schultz, Burzych & Rhodes Law Firm|
||Lactobacillus for Wort Acidification and Berliner Weisse Methodology presented by Ken Belau Head Brewer for Bell's Brewery|
||Brettanomyces in Brewing presented by Chad Yakobson, Owner and Brewer of Crooked Stave Artisan Brewery in Denver, Colorado|
||MBAA District Michigan Meeting|
- Minutes from fall meeting were unavailable. This was mentioned and accepted.
- Eric Kuhnhenn, treasurer’s report (information same as fall mtg).
- Checking account: $9056.56
- CD total: $8277.05
- Savings account: $5003.56
- John Mallet, B.O.G. report:
- IBD prep course will go ahead in Chicago, regardless of low pre-registration.
- New business
- Election results
- Rex Halfpenny President
- Eric Kuhnhenn Vice President
- John Haggerty Treasurer
- Secretary Ken Belau
- John Mallet BOG rep.
- As outgoing president, Marty Rapnicki thanked everyone for 8 great years.
- The mug stock is now exhausted, so the new speaker gifts will be District Michigan ball caps. These will also be available for purchase.
- Eric will send a $1500 check to the Michigan Brewers’ Guild as our contribution for the 2011 winter conference.
- Meeting dates for 2011:
- March 10th – host will be Red Salamander, maybe tour the OI plant although this still needs to be confirmed.
- October 27 – host will be Red Wood Lodge
- July 9th – summer Social at Fitzgerald Park
- Karl Glarner has reserved the site and Hog Heaven.
- March 23-26 CBC in San Francisco. We will help sponsor the MBAA hospitality suite, which Mike Sutton informed us will be at the hotel across the street from the convention.
- Marty Rapnicki review of last year’s Brewing and Malting Science course
- course was Oct 31 – Nov 12, 2010
- great learning experience
- Meeting brewers was a highlight – domestic, international, homebrewers.
- Karl Ockert said he hopes to post classes on the internet.
- Marty highly endorsed attending the course.
- Chances to win the scholarship increase by:
- Attending meetings
- Selling tickets for the summer social
- Having your dues up to date is required
- Attending the summer social is required
- The district currently has 76 members.
- Technical Quarterly
- Some members expressed difficulty accessing the electronic TQ.
- Mike Sutton said the MBAA website is being updated and that should improve the situation.
- Marty reported speaking with Karl Ockert who said that the TQ will not come back as a hard copy publication.
- District Caribbean
- Larry Bell mentioned that the 50th District Caribbean technical conference is coming up at Montego Bay. Karl said there are direct flights out of Lansing for roughly $300 rtn.
Adjourned 5:30 p.m