General Meeting - October 21, 2010
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company
- Minutes read and accepted from 3/25/10
- Eric Kuhnhenn, treasurers report
- Checking account: $9056.07
- Cd total: $8277.05
- Savings account: $5003.56
- John Mallet, B.O.G. report:
- MBAA national conference in Providence, R.I. was last BOG meeting
- Lots of discussion in that meeting regarding Ray Klimovitz departure and the installation of a new technical director.
- Karl Ockert has accepted position as the new technical director.
- A significant raise was issued in pay rate for this technical director position. It appears as if Ray Klimovitz was intentionally working below rate.
- John Mallet believes Karl Ockert will be positive force for the MBAA
- The BOG also discussed possible overlaps between the Brewers Association, MBAA and ASBC – how do these entities work together?
- Interested in how appropriation of new funds will work due to the significant pay raise for Technical Directors position.
- Next BOG meeting is coming up next week.
- Old Business
- July was 9th annual pig roast
- Total rev. generated was: $6139
- Net revenue was: $4166.81
- Scholarship expense: $2500
- After all expenses we netted $2300
- How do you win the scholarship?
- Come to meetings – each meeting gets you an entry
- Each ticket to pig roast you sell garners you an entry
- Must be an active member paid up to date
- Need to be present at the pig roast
- Winter Conference
- To be held at the Kalamazoo Radisson
- January 12 – 14, 2011
- The MBAA is responsible for technical presentations again
- Topics to be considered:
- Raw Materials
- Hop Crop
- Grain Report
- Keg washing/management
- CO2 generation
- Quality control
- How does it come into being
- Prioritizing steps for quality control/assurance
- What are the 10 things that need to be done to run a successful base line q.c/q.a. program (or whatever the number is).
- Plus those topics listed in the Board Meeting minutes
- New business
- Rex Halfpenny will be nominated for President
- Eric Kuhnhenn will be nominated For Vice President
- John Haggerty will be nom for Treasurer
- Secretary nominations
- Ken Belau
- Debbie Smith
- John Mallet nominated for BOG rep.
- All nominations must be in by Nov. 17
- All ballots will be mailed by Nov. 24th
- All ballots must be returned by Dec 17th
- We will include a self addressed stamped envelope returnable to Marty Rapnicki w/all ballots
- New board will be installed during the Winter Conference
- Meeting dates for 2011:
- Winter conference January 12 – 14 at the Kalamazoo Radisson
- March 10th – host will be Red Salamander, maybe tour the OI plant
- October 27 – host will be Red Wood Lodge
- July 9th – summer Social at Fitzgerald Park
- Karl Glarner will start to investigate reserving the park for that date.
- MBAA District Michigan will pick up the tip for servers (starting today) at all host locations
- What is keeping people from wanting to host the meeting?
- Reasons cited:
- No facility (no room)
- Have to clear it with boss and have not investigated it prior to attending meetings.
- Craft Brewers Conference
- Sponsored MBAA suite last year (200.00)
- Do we want to do it again this year in San Francisco? Yes but only 100.00
- John Mallet will discuss the possibility of National shipping beer out to San Francisco.
- Alec wants to bring up the notion of a stipend to the board members in order to cover costs for participation. And would like to extend a thanks in general to everyone who participates
- Mid-Michigan Beer Festival @ Lumber Baron’s
- Drew 300 people last year
- Most beer was sold out
- Can we get some other breweries there?
- How do we get more participation
- Don’t have to be there physically
- If Lumber Baron’s has to buy beer then there is a table fee of $250
- If beer is donated then there is no fee
- Last year Lumber Baron’s donated $430 to MBAA which was derived from this event.
- Karl Glarner review of last years Brewing and Malting Science course
- CD rom of all the power points from the course
- Willing to share copies
- All speakers were open to questions etc.
- Briess tour was awesome
- Exposure to new technologies
- Karl felt that there was lots of larger brewery perspective
- Generally felt it was valuable experience
- Recognition of new members
- Josh Davies from Arcadia
- Thank You Marty for you years of service to the MBAA!
- Konrad suggests that tickets for the pig roast be available by the March meeting.
Date to be reserved by winter mtg (Karl Glarner)
Tickets will be available by March
- Brett Kuhnhenn – if we want to see how well water is processed we can get a tour at Detroit City Water plant. Brett has a contact there and they have offered to take us through.