More than 65 members and friends braved grueling traffic to attend the District NY MBAA Spring 2013 meeting on March 22, at the AB InBev brewery in Newark, NJ. It was our first meeting for many years at the historic brewery. The guest speaker for the evening was Greg Casey, who gave an engaging, informative and intense lecture on the history and development of American style lager, with origins beginning in the later half of the 19th century. Interest in Greg Casey and his talk—no fish bones tonight—was so great that fellow MBAA members from neighboring districts made the trek to Newark to see and hear the presentation. They were not disappointed.
The visitors were treated to a tour of the brewery, excellent food and drink, and warm hospitality on the part of our hosts at AB InBev.
New officers were also elected. They currently are:
President, Andrew Fratianni, BASF Corp.
Vice-President, Gretchen Schmidhausler
Secretary, Dustin Craft, AB InBev
Technical Director, Andrew Ety, Brooklyn Brewery
Treasurer, Rich Ellis, Briess Malting
Membership Chair, Jeff O’Neil, The Peeskill Brewery
Boar of Governor’s Representative, Rich Elis, Briess Malting
The next meeting for District NY will be announced soon.
1. 2. 3.4. 5.
6. 7. 8. 9. 10.
- The Master at work. Greg Casey pointing out some significant facts of his presentation.
- Happy to be served. The people standing, behind, are still in line for food.
- Our host, George Dimopoulos.
- Greg and his wife, Lynn, “Newark is not so bad after all.”
- Video production, too.
- Late in the evening, a group photo with the Caseys.
- Every brewery should have a hospitality suite like this.
- A photo of our brewing forefathers.
- Two of the greatest minds in saccharomyces cerevisiae deep in discussion.
- They even came from Philadelphia.
- Making sure the group is happy.
- Better check with security. They let anybody in these days.
- Treasurer’s report is looking up.
For more info contact: Andrew Fratianni
Revised Schedule and Hotel Information.
Please RSVP for Hotel Special Rate. *See note below
District NY MBAA Spring 2013 Meeting
Date: Friday March 22, 2013
Where: AB InBev Newark, NJ
*Hotel Information: George Dimopoulos of AB InBev has been able to secure a special rate on a hotel.
$99 plus $5 parking fee at the DoubleTree by Hilton, which is on the North side of airport approx. 3 miles from Brewery.
We need minimum of 10 rooms to be able to receive the special rate.
If you are interested and need a room, please RSVP to me as soon as possible so we can book at the special rate. Currently, the hotel has not provided a code to enter if you choose to book on your own.
The hotel does provide transportation to and from Newark airport.
5:00 – 6:00 PM Welcome Bar open at 5 pm. Beer provided courtesy of AB In-Bev
6:00 – 6:30 PM Safety Orientation Brewery Presentation
6:30 – 7:30 PM Brewery Tours
7:30 – 8:30 PM Catered Dinner. $25 per person, includes Chicken Françoise, Salmon, Filet Mignon, Pasta, Greek Salad, Bottled Water.
8:00 – 9:00 PM Speaker. Greg Casey will present Brewing History of New York.
9:00-9:30 PM Closing Remarks – Finish
200 US Highway 1
Newark, NJ 07114
More Snow to Follow: