- Kris Kalav
- Mike Scanzello
- Randy Thiel
- Tom Volke
- Andy Jones
- Gretchen Kalav
- Jerry Hilton
- John Kretsch
- Penny Pickart
- Mary Pellitieri
- Joe Thorner
Kris called the meeting to order and welcomed everbody to the Lowell Center; a big thanks to Ray Klimovitz and Dave Radzanowski for suggesting the location.
Secretary’s report (Randy Thiel):
- Presented the minutes from the previous meeting which were seconded and accepted.
President’s report (Kris Kalav):
- Discussed CBC and beer procurement.
- Sheriton is being difficult about high corkage fee.
- John mentioned that breweries often send more beer than requested.
- Kris to contact breweries about donations.
- Not recommending kegs due to logistics of returning.
Treasurer’s report (Tom Volke):
- Misplaced info from the last meeting; still looking.
- Savings = $22,174
- Checking = $5,100
- At last meeting, St. Francis Brewery did comp our drinks.
P.R. report (Jerry Hilton & Gretchen Wilson-Kalav):
- Working out details for CBC suite promos, raffles, and room.
- New brochures to be made & displayed in suite.
- Website has been updated w/ meeting notices & CBC info.
- Will have cross-postings of MBAA meetings and Guild meetings.
- For the Madison meeting, the bus was cancelled. Bus costs $600; thus need 20 riders to cover cost. Only had 10 signed up…
- Jerry is turning 75!
- Suggested assistance for John Kretsch’s duties.
Membership report (Andy Jones):
- For CBC, National will donate swag + 2 memberships.
- The upcoming May 20th meeting at Malteurop will be a membership drive.
- Suggested free meal to potential members (but to guests of guests).
- Two new members in February:
- Tom Lindley from Nalco Company
- Joe Kolodzinski from Symbiont
- Tom Connors from TC Chemicals was present.
- WI/IL Brewers Guilds have been contacted.
- Ray Klimovitz suggested that we should embrace the homebrew community as a possible source for membership (citing Stephen Holle as a great example). Currently not allowed by bylaws.
- Mike will bring this up at the Executive Board meeting in Providence.
District Governor report (Mike Scanzello):
- June 17th BOG meeting.
- Will be pushing to revisit TQ/Communicator issue.
- Per Ray: Mike Sutton has put together a document outlining costs and savings of the decision.
- Per Jerry: retirees used to pay a one-time fee.
- Motion put forth for the district to pay for the district fee portion of the 2nd raffle item (for District Milwaukee membership).
- Travis Hixton (visiting district Prez from Mid-South) will pony up for dues to his district.
- Other districts will be pushed to do the same.
- Motion approved w/ one opposition (Tom).
- Motion to table the details of the May meeting “guest criteria” in regards to free meal.
Technical Presentation by :
- Ray Klimovitz and Dr. Jon Roll: Brewing education through the MBAA and UW-Madison programs.
- During presentation Ray suggested contacting Greg Harris from MillerCoors to have a future presentation on Best Practices for Packaging Maintenance. It was very well-received during the classes at the Lowell Center.