St. Francis Brewery & Restaurant
3825 S. Kinnickinnic
(down by the airport)
St. Francis, WI 53235
Phone 414 744 4448
Dinner Cost: $25.00
Reserve your meal by Nov. 17, phone John Kretsch at 414 357-8515 Extn 106, or email him at email@example.com
Schedule of Events:
To be announced
- Kris Kalav
- Mary Pellitieri
- Mike Scanzello
- Randy Thiel
- Tom Volke
- Andy Jones
- Gretchen Kalav
- Joe Thorner
- John Kretsch (arrived late, tanned, and relaxed from Jamaica)
Kris called the meeting to order and welcomed everbody to St. Francis Brewery. Extended a hearty thanks to St. Francis brewmaster, Scott Hettig, for hosting the occasion.
Secretary’s report (Randy Thiel):
- Presented the minutes from the previous meeting which were seconded and accepted.
President’s report (Kris Kalav):
- March meeting: still working on the details.
- CBC hospitality suite:
- April 8th-9th.
- Working out details on corkage fee & food.
- Participation from local brewpubs.
- Participation from Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
- More info to follow.
- Midwest Technical Conference:
- Two days in November in Potosi, WI.
- Tom Eplett working with Rebecca Jennings.
Treasurer’s report (Tom Volke):
- Previous meeting at Miller Inn yielded a net loss of $425.
- Received dues from National for partial 2008/2009: $3276
- $3276 in Checking
- $21,846 in Savings
- Investments gained ~$4900 returning to normal levels last seen in 2007.
- Report seconded & accepted.
- Also noted Condolences and a moment of silence for departed members:
- Oscar Heinz formerly of Schlitz & Stroh’s.
- Jeff Becker of the Beer Institute.
Finance report (Joe Thorner):
- Working with Treasurer to create year-to-year picture with forecast.
P.R. report (Jerry Hilton & Gretchen Wilson-Kalav):
- Update on the evenings dinner guest tally.
- Update on District-Milwaukee hospitality suite at CBC:
- Rebecca Jennings to provide promo materials for suite.
- Also, a call for volunteers to help cover the MBBA booth at CBC expo hall.
- Motion: At the March meeting, a raffle will be offered to new members (since Jan 2009) for a free one-year membership (plus dues to District-Milwaukee).
- The free membership was donated by Randy Thiel, who received it from National as an award for gaining the most new members.
- There may be a second membership available from National which would also be raffled off. Will know soon.
- Motion was seconded and accepted unanimously.
Membership report (Andy Jones):
- As of November and December (2009), we have four new members including Gretchen.
- Membership applications will be available at the regular meetings as well as the CBC hospitality suite.
- Will be contacting the WI and IL Brewers Guilds for membership lists and associated breweries.
National Meeting Tech report (Mary Pellitieri):
- Call for papers extended to Feb. 5th.
- Just need to abstract to start.
- ½ off registration.
- MillerCoors showing good support!
- Looking for craft brewer participation.
- Meeting will be shared with ASBC
- Added extra: Weiss beer presentation.
District Governor report (Mike Scanzello):
- The budget has been approved and is available for viewing on the MBAA website.
- Somewhat conservative approach.
- Will be bringing up to the Executive Board: retirees should get internet access to TQ and Communicator.
- Kris emphasized the need to give benefits to retirees.
- Museum of Beer & Brewing (http://www.brewingmuseum.org/) along with MSOE will host an evening at the Grohmann Museum on February 1st to highlight a painting exhibit from the Siebel Institute. 12 paintings illustrate the History of Brewing.
- Food & Froth Fest at the Milwaukee Public Museum. Saturday, February 20th. http://www.mpm.edu/events/foodfroth/
- MidWinter Beer Fest at the Milwaukee Ale House on Sunday, February 21st. http://www.ale-house.com/alehouse/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=72 Portion of proceeds to benefit the MACC Fund.
Technical Presentation by Mike O’Neil, Applied Technologies:
- “Case Study on Renewable Energy” outlined the engineering and construction challenges in recovering methane from City Brewing’s WWT.