1. In what community do you currently reside?
I live in Springdale, OH with my wife Dawn and our two children McKinley and Morrison. Springdale is about 20 miles North, Northwest of Downtown Cincinnati.
2. With whom do you currently work and what is your current work title?
I work for The Boston Beer Company at our brewery not far from the Over-the-Rhine area of Cincinnati. My current role is as the Assistant QA Manager.
How long have you worked in the Brewing Industry?
I have worked in the brewing industry for about 7 years now.
3. How did you come to work in the Brewing Industry?
My story is a familiar one I think for many brewers my age. My introduction to beer making was that as a home brewer. I started making beer 1 gallon at a time at home and just loved it. I decided that I wanted to make beer professionally so I went back to school to pursue an appropriate education which I hoped would help to facilitate a career in brewing. It took a while making my way through school but I eventually earned a Master’s Degree, worked as an intern for both B.J’s Restaurant and Brewery in California and Coors in Golden, CO before being hired by The Boston Beer Company.
4. Anything else you would like to share about your work history?
I’ve worked in both the Brewing and Quality departments here at Samuel Adams.
5. What is your proudest accomplishment as a Brewer?
Not to escape the question but there really isn’t one thing that I am most proud of. I feel good about coming to “work” each day and making efforts which I know are helping to make the best beer we can possibly make.
6. If you weren’t a Brewer, or working in the industry, what else would you do?
I don’t like thinking about that J
7. What beers are in your fridge…right now?
Samuel Adams-Boston Lager, Octoberfest, Dunkelweizen, Pumpkin ale, Latitude 48, Whitewater IPA, Cinder Bock, Noble Pilsner. My wife’s favorite styles are Wit and Hefeweizen with Hoegaarden and Sierra Nevada (Kellerweis) being her favorites in each respective style.
8. What is your favorite Beer-Food Pairing?
There are SO MANY good ones. I have been drinking a lot of our Noble Pilsner lately and it goes well with many foods…most recently I had it at home with marinated grilled chicken, white rice and green beans….it was awesome.
9. When not working, what other hobbies, interests, or activities do you enjoy?
I have fun coaching my children’s soccer teams. I’m a VERY novice soccer coach but am learning quickly and am coming to appreciate the sport more than I ever thought I would. My family and I go camping some as well. Over the past two summers we have camped at Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and Shenandoah National parks….all must do’s if you are into that sort of thing!
10. If Hollywood made a movie about your work-life, who would you like to see play the lead role as…you and why?
Well, I’ve been stopped on the street many times by people who have told me that I look a lot like Ben Affleck so I guess I will go with him for that reason. Appropriate with him being a Bostonian as well……Is that what you call people from Boston?
11. If someone wrote a biography about you, what would you choose for the book title?
Tangled up in Beer!
12. Anything else that you would like to share?
I’m excited about the opportunity of being District Cincinnati’s President for the next couple of years. Thanks!